Chief Engineer - Eldorado Hotel & Spa
The Chief Engineer directs all aspects of Engineering operations including emergency programs, energy management, asset protection, preventive maintenance and repairs to equipment, structures and grounds. Directs the Engineering staff, accounting/budgeting, asset protection, inventory control and human resources. The Chief Engineer directs all operations in alignment with the direction of the General Manager, Company, brand standards and local, state and national regulations. Responsible for quality service, meeting/exceeding financial goals, short and long term planning and day-to-day operations. Recommends the Engineering budget, business plan, capital expenditures and manages within approved plans and objectives.
This position directly manages assigned staff and indirectly manages all subordinates. Articulates Company goals to the staff. Demonstrates commitment to these goals through work ethic, integrity and respect for the Company and associates. Unites associates in a common commitment to achieve and exceed these goals. Works closely with management throughout the hotel and the Company. Impresses guests with quality and timely service in a pleasant and friendly manner.
What you will be doing
- Guest Satisfaction – Direct and ensure Engineering standards and procedures are followed. Direct Engineering staff schedules to ensure adequate coverage while managing the department budget. Ensure timely response to guest needs. Resolve guest complaints as appropriate to maintain guest satisfaction. Regularly review service scores to identify areas needing improvement and implement appropriate changes. Ensure the Engineering staff regularly adheres to all guest service basics such as uniforms, name tags and proper guest greeting. Be knowledgeable on hotel facilities, services and the city to assist guests as appropriate.
- Human Resources – In conjunction with the Human Resources department, direct recruiting, hiring, training, development and retention of a motivated and efficient Engineering staff. Clearly communicate to associates the standards of performance and their role in contributing to individual and team success. Ensure all required training occurs including orientation, safety, fire, and blood-borne pathogen. Coach, counsel, resolve conflicts, discipline and terminate as appropriate through fair treatment and in compliance with Company policies and procedures. Conduct associate performance and salary reviews in a timely manner and in accordance with Company guidelines. Ensure all policies and procedures are followed. Insist on a work environment that is free from harassment. Promote the hotel as an employer of choice in the community.
- Profitability – Develop, recommend, implement and manage the Engineering annual budget, business plan, and objectives to meet/exceed expectations. Ensure energy management, maintenance and labor costs are within budgeted guidelines. Review vendors and products to ensure procurement of top quality products at minimum prices. If necessary, develop action steps to correct any expense problems. Develop and direct asset improvements to capture more guests and a larger share of the local market. Coordinate repairs, replacements and renovations by appropriately defining the project scope and cost, bidding and oversight of suppliers and contractors to ensure quality work/products for minimal cost. Investigate new and improved equipment, techniques and service methods. Submit recommendations for changes and improvements to the General Manager.
- Life Safety/Risk Management – Direct all emergency programs including equipment maintenance and inspections, staff training, practice drills, accurate recordkeeping and compliance with all policies, procedures, codes and regulations. Direct and promote an accident prevention program to minimize liabilities and related expenses. Ensure appropriate sanitary, safety, security and emergency procedures are in place, followed and comply with policies, standards and regulations. Ensure the staff is proficient in sanitary, safety, security and emergency procedures. Notify the General Manager of any potential liability and propose proper course of action to prevent the hotel from incurring any such liability. Make recommendations to the General Manager on additional safeguards as appropriate. Practice safe work habits.
- Asset Management - Walk the property daily to identify issues and to speak with and listen to associates. Ensure preventative maintenance programs are in place to protect assets and maintenance related problems are promptly and properly addressed. Inspect and evaluate the condition of the Engineering areas, equipment and inventories. Investigate, analyze and report on all incidents and accidents. In conjunction with the General Manager, coordinate activities and liaise with local and federal law enforcement agencies, fire companies and insurance agencies to resolve problems and ensure a safe environment for guests and associates. Submit recommendations for changes and improvements to the General Manager. Work collaboratively with the Corporate Office to ensure Company assets are accurately tracked. Ensure associates are properly trained in the use and maintenance of Company assets.
- Leadership – Direct all facets of Engineering. Keep abreast of brand standards and the competition's products and strengths to continually improve revenues and profit margins while maintaining quality. Use business/management knowledge, applications in the industry, and experiences to provide leadership, both internally and externally, to assist the General Manager in positioning the hotel as a market leader. Be a coach with a positive attitude on a daily basis. Implement, manage and comply with Company policies, practices and programs. Ensure compliance with brand standards and local, state and national regulations. Ensure optimal levels of quality service and hospitality are provided to guests. Regular and timely attendance with high standards of personal behavior, appearance and grooming including wearing the proper nametag when working.
- Communication – Ensure all communication containing Company, hotel, brand and guest information is consistent with privacy policies, practices and regulations. Maintain a consistent professional and positive attitude when communicating with guests and associates. Maintain effective two-way communications that crosses departmental lines. Approach all encounters and actions with guests and associates in a friendly, service oriented manner. Conduct regularly scheduled meetings with the Engineering staff to provide organizational information and educate associates on changes and activities. Communicate Engineering activities and plans with peers and superiors to obtain appropriate consultation, guidance and approval.
- Administration – Manage the compilation and analyze various corporate reports and property reports to provide management with accurate information and to comply with corporate policies and procedures as well as government laws and regulations. Complete all required and requested reporting in a timely and accurate manner. Perform special projects and other responsibilities as assigned. Participate in executive committee and other committees as requested. As requested, assist the General Manager with the preparation of the annual hotel budget and forecasts.
- High school diploma plus trade school or college.
- Requires advanced knowledge of building management/engineering.
- Five or more years of related experience. Familiarity with the hospitality industry practices preferred.
Job Status: Full Time